Aghada GAA Club

Founded 1885

Co. Cork

Hurling Write ups - Junior B final and Prem Inter playoff

Download our mobile app to hear more about Aghada GAA Club.

See More

Prem Inter Hurling Relegation Playoff – Aghada 0=11 v Watergrasshill 2-15; Dungourney 6/11/21

We will ply our hurling trade at Intermediate level next year after defeat was our lot against Watergrasshill in the Premier relegation playoff. A prolonged schmozzell preceded the throw in as both sides were feeling the tension and when the sliothar was finally thrown in, both sides had only 14 each on the field. Aghada with the aid of a strong wind had a good 1st half. Jake O Donoghue had a fine hour and he and Daniel Creedon were prominent in the opening period at the back for Aghada. So too was Pearse O Neill upfront and he earned the free for our 1st point. Our next two points were from play. Young Donagh Collins setting up Aaron Berry and Jamie O Hanlon doing the honours to set up Darragh Ryan for point number 3. Watergrasshill were responding with placed balls and it was 3 a piece after 7 minutes. The hardworking Berry earned another free on 8 minutes and Mark McCarthy pointed the resulting free. Next Pearse made a good catch from a Ciaran puck out and again drew a free. Mark again did the honours and Aghada were 2 clear with 10 minutes gone. The ‘Hill bounced back in style with a pointed free before they rattled our net on 12 minutes for the games opening goal. Aghada responded well. Berry again won a free, this time Cian Fleming pointed and then blood sub Aiden O Connell drove forward well to level proceedings. 7 points playing 1-4. Watergrasshill pointed yet another free to lead by the minimum as the sides took their 1st water break. On resumption Fleming hit a great score from the left wing on the run. Mark hit two fine frees in this quarter also to bring our halftime tally to 10 points. With our opponents hitting 2 more of their own it was all square at the short whistle 0-10 v 1-7.

Unfortunately we lost Pearse to injury at half time and as we turned to face the wind a difficult task got even harder when Watergrasshill opened the 2nd half scoring with their 2nd goal. They followed that score with 2 more points and soon after the writing was well and truly on the wall when Aghada were reduced to 13 men. From here out the result was never in doubt. In fact Aghada would only score once in this second period and that was on 27 minutes when Mark pointed another free. Long before then we were down at 12 men and it was credit to the lads left on the pitch that they battled impossible odds with everything they had and prevented Watergrashiill from turning it into a rout. This was reflected in the final quarter as we held our numerically and wind advantaged opponents scoreless until the 32 minute. But we had no chance of making inroads up front and our destiny was decided long before the final whistle. It is a very high standard at Premier Intermediate level and after being drawn in a very difficult group it was always touch and go between staying in this grade and fighting for survival. It must be said that from a discipline point of view, Saturday left an awful lot to be desired all around, but credit to the team and management for giving their everything to the Aghada cause over the year.

Aghada Team and Scorers – Ciaran O Shea, Tim Hartnett, Jack McDonnell, Dan Leahy, Jake O Donoghue, Michael Russell, Daniel Creedon, Donagh Collins, Aaron Berry (0-1), Darragh Ryan (0-1), Mark McCarthy (0-6, 6f), Cian Fleming (0-2, 1f), Jamie O Hanlon, John Looney, Pearse O Neill. Subs Used – Aiden O Connell (0-1), David Rice, Jordan Tynan, Jack Norris. Mathew Leahy.

East Cork Junior B Hurling – Final - Aghada 1-9 v Carrigtwohill 3-20; Killeagh 5/11/21

Our quest for a second JB hurling title in 3 years was not to be, when we were soundly beaten despite our best efforts by an excellent Carrigtwohill side last Friday night in Killeagh. On a lovely night for November hurling, the omens were against us from the get go when we lost midfielder Stephen O Keeffe in the warm up to a twisted ankle. We did go 2 points to nil up in the opening 5 minutes via two Trevor O Keeffe frees earned by Charlie Terry and Kevin O Hanlon. Carrig hit 4 wides in this period as their forwards looked dangerous minus the finishing. The opening quarter was a lively and entertaining affair with a high standard of hurling on display from both sides. After Carrig opened their account with a point from play, the next attack saw Charlie hit a pile driver which was well tipped over the bar by the Carrigtwohill ‘keeper who was excellent all night, Carrig had their second on 8 minutes, but straight from the puck out Aghada went for goal again. This time it was Kevin that saw his shot well saved and while he missed the rebound, Eoin Motherway didn’t, and a sweet groundstroke rifled into the top right corner of the net. 1-3 to 2 points, 10 minutes on the clock and while Carrigtwohill were playing very well there was no sign of the onslaught that was to come. But in the 5 minutes to the 1st water break Carrigtwohill drew level after hitting 4 unanswered points. They kept this momentum on resumption hitting 1-1 on the restart. They were totally dominant now and hit another 4 points from all parts of the field. 8 points behind as halftime approached, to Aghada’s credit they rallied and hit the last 3 points of the half. Charlie earned another free as did Alan Creedon after winning a good ruck and John Connolly hit a nice score from play just as the ref blew the short whistle. 1-6 v 1-11 but all the signs were pointing towards a difficult 2nd half in store for us.

On the restart a solo run from Kevin was illegally stopped and Trevor again opened the scoring for this half. The Carrigtwohill response was emphatic. 1-1 in the space of a minute and the destination of the silverware was as good as decided. Carrig’s radar now deserted them as they started to hit wides again. O Hanlon took off on another solo run and hit a great score on the run from the right hand sideline. Next Carrig pointed straight from a sideline (yes at B level) and then gutsy wing back Ben Stafford hit another fine point from play for Aghada. As Aghada continued to battle, Charlie had goal attempts, one well saved by the keeper and the other came back off the upright. Carrig hit the next two points and led 2-15 v 1-9 at the final water break. If there was a slim chance at this point, a third Carrig goal just on resumption slammed the door firmly shut on Aghada’s chances. From here to the end it was virtually all Carrig as they drove home for a comprehensive and much deserved victory. So disappointment for our lads on the night but they had a great year all told, did the jersey proud with their skill and never say die spirit all year and gave us all some great entertainment along the way.

Aghada Team and Scorers – Craig Hogan, Alan Walsh, Brian Morrissey, Stephen Daly, Jack Norris, Luke O Connell (capt), Ben Stafford (0-1), Rory O Connell, Rory Slye, Charlie Terry (0-1), John Connolly (0-1), Trevor O Keeffe (0-5, 5f), Eoin Motherway (1-0), Kevin O Hanlon (0-1), Alan Creedon. Subs Used – Richie Condon, Scott Whyte, Sean Og O Keeffe, Jack Corkery, Oisin Counihan.

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play