Aghada GAA Club

Founded 1885

Co. Cork

Premier Intermediate Football Quarter Final - Aghada 1-12 v Nemo Rangers 1-7; Pairc Ui Rinn 31/10/21

Download our mobile app to hear more about Aghada GAA Club.

See More

Our PI Footballers advanced to this year’s County semi final with a fine display of football and dogged determination in a windswept and rainy Pairc Ui Rinn. The weather led to a change of venue Sunday morning with Cobh waterlogged after a night of heavy rain, so the game was switched to Pairc Ui Rinn. (Much to the delight of the now dry supporters!). Fair play to Michael Mulry who still travelled to Cobh and kept an eye out for any stray supporters wandering around there.

Just like the last day out Aghada got off to a great start. Kyle O Shea and Aaron Berry linked up for the latter to deliver a long ball to Cian Fleming and the corner forward jinked past a number of defenders before pointing. Next Fleming set up full forward Shane Bennett who burned through inside the Nemo defence before firing a shot just over the crossbar. It could of been a goal, but Bennett did pounce for a major 2 minutes later. A Danny Creedon free fell short into the wind, the ball bobbed about for a bit with no one claiming possession before Bennett palmed the ball home. 8 minutes gone and with the Caltra man now just passing Glounthaune, Aghada were 1-2 to no score to the good. Now however Nemo, with the wind advantage, came strongly into the game. They outscored Aghada 5 points to 1 over the next 10 minutes. Bennett again from play with the Aghada score. Aghada were also grateful to Jack McDonnell at full back who broke up attack after attack and put in a great defensive performance. Kyle O Shea and Donagh Collins were also impressing at the back. Still it was nearly all Nemo at this stage. Now however, as Mulry finally got to the ground, Aghada came good again. Diarmuid Phelan drove up the middle to set up Kevin O Hanlon for a nice score on 19 minutes. Stalemate followed for a bit before on 29 minutes Pearse O’Neill again drove at the heart of the Nemo defence before pointing. Then Jack Mc broke up another attack and released Kevin on a run. He in turn released Bennett who drew a fine save from the Nemo ‘keeper. The ball was never fully cleared and Diarmuid Byrne eventually won a free which Danny converted. Aghada’s best forward Bennett finished off the 1st half scoring with another point for himself. At halftime the scoreboard read Aghada 1-7 v Nemo Rangers 0-5. Aghada had lost Jordan Tynan to injury in that 1st half and now also Kyle O Shea was injured and needed to be replaced at halftime. However in Ronnie Power and Jake O Donoghue, Aghada had two very capable replacements who both had fine games when introduced.

Any thoughts of the wind driving Aghada on for the second half were roundly disproved as Nemo were very much in the ascendancy for the opening quarter. But while the city outfit dominated possession, they missed a number of scores from play and frees , and a few goal opportunities went a begging aswell. They did score 1-1 to reduce the lead to the minimum before a Cian Fleming ’45 meant there was 2 points between the sides at the last water break. The water break did the trick for the Aghada lads and almost on resumption we kicked 3 outstanding points in only 2 minutes. Fleming was 1st with an outrageous score from the left hand touchline. And then Byrne from the middle of the park had an equally impressive point. Now the gander was up again and after struggling somewhat with kickouts, Aghada now hunted down the Nemo restart through Aaron Berry and Shane Bennett yet again split the posts as a result after being set through by Pearse. Aiden O Connell and Dan Leahy came on to add legs, but in truth that last scoring burst seemed to clinch it for Aghada. Nemo did continue to press forward and again flashed a few dangerous attempts goal ward but never really looked like getting enough scores to bridge the gap. Fleming pointed a free earned by Phelan and it was a 6 point game entering injury time. Nemo never gave up and came looking for the goal that would re ignite their challenge but the Aghada defence was standing firm. A pointed free was all we coughed up to our opponents before the final whistle sounded and Aghada could celebrate a job well done. Manager Philip Moore will be delighted to have his charges in a County semi final where we will meet Kanturk who defeated us at the quarter final stages of last year’s competition. So another big challenge awaits but Aghada will go into the game in great form and with plenty of confidence. This game is fixed for 3pm Sat 13th in Mourneabbey. First up however we will play Premier Intermediate hurling championship on Saturday the 6th in a relegation playoff against Watergrasshill in Riverstown at 2 pm. So best of luck to both groups as we head into the depths of winter!

Aghada Team and Scorers – Ciaran O Shea, Jordan Tynan, Jack McDonnell, Kyle O Shea, Tim Hartnett, Diarmuid Phelan, Donagh Collins, Michael Russell, Diarmuid Byrne (0-1), Aaron Berry, Daniel Creedon (0-2, 2f), Kevin O Hanlon (0-1), Pearse O Neill (0-1), Shane Bennett (1-4), Cian Fleming (0-3, 1 '45). Subs Used Ronnie Power, Jake O Donoghue. Aiden O Connell, Dan Leahy.

Aghada Team pic - with captain Jack Mc Donnell behind, jogging back from the toss 🙈🙈🙈

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play