By now, unless you have spent the last week on the moon, you will know that people near, far and everywhere in between have rallied together in the most amazing and incredible fashion to help raise funds for our club legend Kieran O’Connor and family. Friends of Kieran O’Connor was set up in Aghada Gaa by his close friends in Aghada plus several other Aghada GAA members. They were quickly joined by relatives and friends from outside the Gaa circle and also by Kieran’s former Cork football teammates. The goal was simple – to help a man who has given so much in the Aghada and Cork jerseys over the years, as he himself fights the toughest battle he has yet faced. The response has been phenomenal and is both a measure of people’s kindness and a measure of the stature and standing in which Kieran and the O’Connor family is held in our community, county and indeed country.
On Monday at 2pm there is a 5k
Walk for Kieran starting and finishing in our grounds in Rostellan. It would be great to see as many people as possible there in support of the O'Connors. Full information is below from the Friends of Kieran committee, but just to make/emphasise a few points -
1) People have been organised to prepare and bring sandwiches and bite sized cakes but if anyone else out there would like to bring something similar to help with the refreshments, please do so between 9am and 11am on the morning of the walk to the clubrooms in Rostellan.
2) In general there will be no parking in our grounds on that morning. Even if you are involved/helping/bringing food or whatever, you won't be allowed leave your car in the Gaa grounds. Please read the instructions carefully below re parking. But if
us locals can walk to the pitch or to one of the bus collection points to help reduce the amount of cars we need to accomodate, that would help greatly also.
3) Please visit and spread the word of The friends of Kieran website - www.friendsofkieran.com . Here you will find info on the walk, plus future events will be posted here also. Info on how to donate etc is also available here.
Ok, please read the release below from Friends of Kieran re the ins and outs of the walk on Monday.
Thanks to all for the incredible effort being put in.
The support offered to Kieran & his family over this past week has been nothing short of incredible.
To each and every one of you, a heartfelt thanks!
This Bank Holiday Monday we are having a Walk For Kieran at Aghada GAA Grounds at 2pm.
It would be fantastic to see you there to show your support for Kieran and his family.
Please see the event details below. All Welcome.
WALK FOR KIERAN
- Walk commences on Monday March 18th at 2pm from Aghada GAA grounds and will continue to The Pepperstack Bistro, before returning to GAA grounds (see walk map below)
- Please wear your Club/County colours
- Transport - complimentary shuttle bus pick up & drop off to GAA Grounds from satellite carparks as outlined below- Please arrive by 1pm latest
- Buses will depart every 10 minutes, large buses will be available for buggies etc.
- Please car pool where possible
- Wheelchair access to GAA Grounds will be accommodated
- Refreshments will be available
- Weather forecast for Monday looks good
*** THERE WILL BE NO PARKING IN AGHADA GAA GROUNDS ***
A satellite carpark system using shuttle buses will be in operation on the day between 12 noon - 1.30pm and will return to the same location post walk. Buses will depart every 10 minutes.
There are two options:
· Market Green Shopping Centre Midleton (see link https://goo.gl/maps/aCtk6CdgvQy) with pick up also at Jackos Ballinacura en route
· Whitegate Carparks (as directed by marshals locally) (see link https://goo.gl/maps/S64gx9W6Bgo)
*FOR LOCAL RESIDENTS*
There are three options:
· Get dropped off at Thomas Kent Park, Rostellan
· Those living in the villages of Saleen (Church), Whitegate (The Bus Stop) and Aghada (Church) can walk to designated bus pick-up point in each village as shown above.
· Take directions from marshals to your nearest carpark
· THERE WILL BE NO PARKING IN AGHADA GAA GROUNDS