Aghada GAA Club

Founded 1885

Co. Cork

Club History

Aghada GAA Club was founded in 1885, just a year after the GAA itself was founded. Aghada was one of the first three clubs from Cork to affiliate to the GAA. When the Cork County Board held its first meeting in 1886, Aghada was one of only sixteen clubs to attend. The earliest report of hurling being played in Aghada was in 1845, almost 40 years before the GAA itself was founded. 

The first game Aghada played as a club was the 20 th October 1886 in Ballinrostig. Two teams of 21 a side from the parish took part. The game ended in a draw of 3 points each. The first trophy Aghada won was on St Stephens day in 1886. Aghada fielded 2 teams in the first ever Cork County hurling championship, on April 17 th 1887. Both teams played on the same day.

Aghada entered both hurling and football teams in 1888, Aghada reached the hurling finals in 1889, 1890 and 1897. Aghada did not play in the final in 1889 due to a dispute, but were beaten in 1890 by Aghabullogue who went on to win the All Ireland and were beaten by Blackrock in 1897. When the East Cork Board was founded in 1924, Aghada were one of the first clubs to affiliate.

Success followed with Aghada winning the hurling championship in 1931,1933 and 1940. The club went through a lean period in the 1940's and 50's due to emigration during World War 2. A revival in the clubs fortunes took place in the 1960's with the club winning the B grade hurling championship in 1962 and 1969. This was the start of numerous successes in underage and adult levels in the 70's, 80's, 90's and up to present day. In 1991 the club won the County Intermediate Football Championship and we have been playing Intermediate Hurling and Senior Football for the past 25 years. The club won the County Intermediate Hurling Championship in 2017. This marked the first adult county hurling championship title for the club. We also have a very vibrant juvenile club who do fantastic work with our underage players which is vital for the future of the club.

The development of our facilities in Rostellan started in 1969. Before that we played games and trained in numerous fields in the parish with the goodwill of local farmers. When the Refinery bought the land in Whitegate in the 1950’s, the club actually trained and played in one of those fields. We also played in the Refinery club field until the early 70’s. Our first field was opened in 1971 and our dressing rooms were built  in 1972. The present clubhouse was built in 1984. Our second field was opened in 1992 and our third field was opened in 2010 and redeveloped and upgraded recently. Our ball alley and dressing rooms were opened in 1998 and upgraded in 2010 with a dedicated dressing room for ladies to cater for ladies football and camogie.

The club presently has a total playing membership of 350 and has football and hurling teams at U6, U8, U10, U11, U12, U13, U14, U15, U16, U18, U21. We also have 6 adult teams in both codes. The Ladies football club was founded in 1975 and after a lapse of a few years was revived in 1993 and has been very successful in all grades over the last number of years, recently obtaining Intermediate Status. In 2017 great success was achieved in County, Munster and All-Ireland Championship at Junior level.

The club has a playing membership of 150. The Camogie club was founded in 2011 and has been making great strides since being formed, with success at underage level and also has a playing membership of 150.

Download Clubify

Get live information for Club on the Clubify App

App Store Google Play